So on Thursday a guy comes up to me at work (someone I recognize but don't really know) and says "I got something for you."
I say "Excuse me, what?"
"I got you something for new years...its good stuff...for new years"
"Um"
"I got you something good to try." (at this point I am thinking he is trying to sell me drugs or something...I am just lost.) "Can I take your picture?"
"What? My picture? Now? What?"
All of a sudden two other girls from the plant come around the corner with a ball of straw that has a box on top.
"This is a gift from the QC department."
"For me?" (they barely know me...other than being the Corporate guy who is here for a while.)
"Yes, lets take a picture of all of us and you holding the birds nest."
"OK." (we take a group picture and I think that I am free to go on my way.)
"You must have this. It is birds nest."
"What? Is it a drink? Is it alcohol?"
"Not alcohol. It is good for you. It is healthy."
"Ok, but what is it?" (these particular people are between 2 or 3 on a scale of 10 in English skills, so not much is getting through.)
"Its birds next. New Years tradition. It is our gift to you from QC."
"Oh, ok...do I drink it later" (I know the answer.)
"No...drink it now."
I open the box...its like a small jar of baby food...its colorless, like clear jelly, but more liquidy...it is cloudy and has definite clouds in it.
"What is it?"
"It is birds nest. It is healthy. No sugar" (this was the only description I could read on the box..."no sugar"...so that I knew...but I had no idea what it really was. I smell it. I sip...it is basically tasteless.
"Do I drink the whole thing now or save some for later?" (I also, unfortunately, knew this answer.)
They dont talk, they just give the motion of someone pounding a shot. This is international, regarless of where your language skills fall on a 1-10 scale.
So I down it. They cheer.
Later on I talk to some other guys and say I just drank something called a birds nest.
He says "Oh, that is very expensive, one drink might be (I will currency exchange it for the blog readers) $8-9 dollars...it is a very nice gift."
"What is it?"
"It is birds nest, it is a New Years tradition here in Thailand, it is very healthy."
"Yes, I know that. But what is it...what is it made of."
"Well, its the actual saliva and phlegm from a bird...what they use to make a birds nest...think of it as a birds nest without the straw. It wont hurt you."
I felt it in my stomach all night and did not vomit, but wanted to.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
HAHAHA! (I'm laughing because it is you not me.) Wow. That's pretty gross.
ReplyDeleteAh, the joys of being an "honored guest" in an Asian country. The things we have to do to be polite. Good stuff (the story, not the bird's nest)!
ReplyDeleteIt's OK Dan. I vomited for you after reading.
ReplyDeleteCliff
Oh... I do hope it really was healthy because that would be the only saving aspect of this experience!
ReplyDeletePriceless!!!!! I have nothing more to say, just PRICELESS!
ReplyDelete